Monday 29 October 2012

Fun at the Auction!

I love going to auctions!  I love the adrenalin rush you get when the item you are interested in approaches. You find the nerve to hold your number up and bid for your treasure hoping that by some miraculous chance you will be the only one that appreciates its charm and value!  The first item I ever bid on was a shabby chic bureau and I got it for £1!!  At that auction you didn't have a number you just shouted your name out..."Mrs Smart"  I shouted and the auctioneer replied "you certainly are".  I felt like I'd been accepted into the world of bidding and I was off!!  My husband and I go often and always come back with something we need or don't need!
A couple of weeks ago we went to an auction that was selling off items from a Heritage Museum that was closing down.  We took two vans and our 3 dogs and my mum's dog that was staying with us for the weekend. Loaded with our pack up and dogs pack up we set off to find some bargains. I just couldn't help myself bidding for everything.  My husband kept tapping his pen around the circled running total I had spent to try and calm me down but it didn't work! We won some real gems and I have spent the last couple of weeks cleaning and admiring everything.  My two favourite items were a 1940's Boiler Washer called the Dean and a 1930's Washing Machine with a mangle over the top.
 
 
 
 
Oh and the 1950's mangle, wooden airers and vintage irons are pretty cool as well!!
 
 
 
I got lots of kitchenalia to add to my Downtown Abbey section that I am creating on my online shop www.thenostalgickitchen.co.uk.  I'm hoping to launch this line on my shop in the next two weeks and I'm so excited at what I've managed to collect so far. The items date from 1914-1920's and it has not been an easy task. 
 
Keep an eye on this blog and my website www.thenostalgickitchen.co.uk for updates on the exciting Downtown Abbey section.
 
In the meantime if you want to order anything on the shop for under £10 this week mention this blog for a full refund of your postage.
 
Off to Norfolk in a couple of weeks for an auction fest and hope to come back with even more treasures to share with my vintage loving cooks.
Love Nostalgic Vicky x

1 comment :

  1. Love your blog. I've just discovered it and have 'liked' you on Facebook too. Happy bargain hunting.

    ReplyDelete