Monday 24 September 2012

Susie Cooper My Inspiration

My mother in law offered me the choice of two family tea sets to use, keep, display.  I instantly fell in love with the wonderful cups & saucers in the Gardenia pattern by the treasured ceramics designer Susie Cooper. 

 
 

My collection grew and grew and is still growing.  It lives in a large victorian glass fronted dresser in our dining room and although my most treasured possesions, we use our Susie Cooper china and enjoy it.  I don't use it for everyday but I use it when people come round for dinner.  I love serving up my vegetables in a beautiful tureen and having matching dinner plates, side plates and cups & saucers. 




I am now fascinated with all things Susie Cooper.  Born in 1902 she is one of the most important figures in the history of 20th century pottery and a truely astonishing woman. She designed an array of styles and her career lasted from 1920's to the 1980's.  She revolutionalised commercial ceramics in Britain, creating everyday tableware that was modern, stylish, practical and affordable.


 
The Queen Mother presented her with an Obe and confided that her first Tea Set had been a Susie Cooper.  It is rumoured that 'Glen Mist' is used at Sandringham.  A 1920's Tea Set can be worth well in excess of £1,000 today.  I often put the odd special piece of Susie Cooper for sale on my online shop www.thenostalgickitchen.co.uk. I currently have some Susie Cooper Dresden Spray cups & saucers and a gravy boat in the same design for sale for some lucky customer.


My collection of Susie Cooper introduced me to the world of vintage and inspired me to create my website.  Today is Monday and it is special blog reader discount day for my online shop www.thenostalgickitchen.co.uk.  Enter the voucher code 9797 at the checkout when purchasing more than one item and receive 25% discount on the cheapest item.

Enjoy, Nostalgic Vicky xx






2 comments :

  1. Hi Vicky I have recently purchased some items from situp channels that say that are Brompton and Cooper and made by Susie Cooper. They come with stamp on back and a certificate. I have looked up on the internet but can only find out about susie cooper but when look for brompton and Cooper just takes me back to situp channels. I am wandering if these are fakes with fake certificates. I would be interested in your view as you seem to know a lot about her.
    Thanks
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzy Cooper is a freelance designer who trained to be a ceramic designer at Loughborough and achieved a 1st Class honours and then A masters degree in Staffordshire ‘the heart of the potteries’. She established a name for herself winning awards and selling her work in many prestigious galleries such as the V&A and the Barbican and stores such as Harvey Nichols across the country.
    From 1994 Suzy started to work with leading brands such as Wedgwood, Churchill and Queensberry Hunt to name a few. At this time Suzy also became a lecturer on the Ceramics Degree Course at Central St Martins London. Suzy’s 11 year experience from Compton and Woodhouse, the leading UK collectibles company as their Product Development Director working with the most important museums such as the V&A and British Museum.
    Brompton and Cooper is a range of collectibles designed by Suzy Cooper for Bid tv, she was keen to bring delicate skills such as handmade roses into a collection for the home. All limited edition with certificates of authenticity
    This lady is not the Susie Cooper but Suzy Cooper as above. After much searching I found this

    ReplyDelete